Community Events and Program Volunteer Opportunities/Benefits
- Volunteering time makes you feel like you have more time. Wharton professor Cassie Mogilner wrote in the Harvard Business Review that her research found those who volunteer their time feel like they have more of it. This is similar to other research showing that people who donate to charity feel wealthier. Said Mogliner: “The results show that giving your time to others can make you feel more ‘time affluent’ and less time-constrained than wasting your time, spending it on yourself, or even getting a windfall of free time.”
- Volunteering your skills helps you develop new skills. Skill-based volunteering is an excellent opportunity to develop talents to help you get ahead in your career, or just stay abreast of it all. In fact, an article in the Stanford Social Innovation Review called skills-based volunteering overseas “the next executive training ground.”
- Volunteering your body helps you have a healthier body.A report from the Corporation for National & Community Service noted: “Research demonstrates that volunteering leads to better health… those who volunteer have lower mortality rates, greater functional ability, and lower rates of depression later in life than those who do not volunteer.” The fact that volunteering has been proven to make you healthier is reason enough to engage in pro bono activities.
- Volunteering your experience helps build your experience. Also, volunteering in a new industry will give you knowledge that can help you switch fields. And if you want to move from the corporate world to the nonprofit sector, volunteering first can help prove your commitment.
- Volunteering your love makes you feel more LOVE. Admittedly, love is a hard thing to measure. But when researchers at the London School of Economics examined the relationship between volunteering and measures of happiness, they found the more people volunteered, the happier they were. Volunteering builds empathy, strengthens social bonds and makes you smile — all factors that increase the feeling of love.
If you would like to volunteer in making a difference in the Pearland community, please click here to complete our online volunteer form.
We love to love, and through the community is how we show it… Help us keep the love going and flowing throughout the community of Pearland, TX.